Global Health Advising Collaborative
The University of Minnesota Global Health Advising Collaborative includes and serves colleges and units involved with health-related education abroad. Meetings are organized by the Learning Abroad Center, but the agenda will be open to issues and topics identified by the group.
The University of Minnesota Global Health Advising Collaborative members can serve as a resource for faculty and staff through the following methods:
- Referrals to individuals or departments who advise students about health education opportunities abroad.
- Provide information about important and recent topics related to global health education opportunities (e.g., policies regarding appropriate levels of hands-on involvement in clinics, potential safety concerns associated with developing countries).
- Recommendations for how to support students as they participate in international opportunities in the health world.
- Help update and maintain content on Learning Abroad Center's Medicine, Public Health, and Health Sciences page.
Global Ambassadors for Patient Safety (GAPS)
The Pre-Health Student Resource Center has developed this interactive online workshop to help students who plan to participate in a learning abroad program where they may have interaction with patients. Students are highly encouraged to complete the online module before researching program options.
Global Ambassadors for Patient Safety (GAPS) online module can help students:
- prepare for their experience abroad
- use their experience abroad to make a positive impact on their health program application
- consider the legal and ethical boundaries that should guide their activities while abroad
- understand their own limitations as unlicensed students
Global Health Advising Collaborative Members
- Scott Daby, Learning Abroad Center
- College of Continuing and Professional Studies, rotating based on meeting availability:
- Julie Goepferd, University Honors Program
- Barbara Goodwin, College of Liberal Arts
- Jessica Hartnett, Learning Abroad Center
- Chad Horsley, College of Liberal Arts
- Lindsey Lahr, Learning Abroad Center
- Anna Mraz, College of Education and Human Development
- Adam Pagel, College of Science and Engineering
- Robin Perez, College of Food, Agricultural and Natural Resource Sciences
- Joe St. Jacque, School of Nursing
- Tricia Todd, Pre-Health Student Resource Center
- Andrew Williams, University of Minnesota- Rochester