Teaching Courses Abroad

College or Department Affiliate Programs

What is a College or Department Affiliate Program?

The new UofM Education Abroad Policy governs all University-purpose travel outside the US by all students and includes the requirements of units supporting, promoting, or organizing student international travel. The 2014 policy update adds the requirement that all undergraduate education abroad opportunities organized or promoted by units must work through an education abroad office (Learning Abroad Center, Carlson Global Institute).

Consider these questions to determine if you must work through an Education Abroad Office:

Note: The policy does not differentiate between credit-bearing and non-credit experiences.

College or Department Affiliate Programs

Colleges or departments may initiate a college or department affiliate program (credit or non-credit) for outgoing UofM students through another institution or provider not affiliated with a UofM education abroad office. The Learning Abroad Center advises the sponsoring unit on process and considerations, and provides transactional assistance for the outgoing University of Minnesota students. The ongoing support, promotion, and administration of the relationship, however, is managed in the college.

Initial considerations when contemplating a college or department affiliate program:

EA Support: $300 per student ($200 for non-credit activities)


For more information, or to begin the process of initiating a program, contact the appropriate Learning Abroad Center staff member:

Amy Garwood Diaz, Associate Program Director

Christine Anderson, Academic Director