Freshman Seminar Abroad Scholarship
- Open to students on the Twin Cities campus
- Must be enrolled as a first-year undergraduate degree-seeking student
- Participating in a Learning Abroad Center Freshman Seminar Abroad
- Students who have received a Freshman Study Abroad Scholarship (awarded upon admission to the University of Minnesota) are eligible for this scholarship.
- Students receiving a full scholarship from another source are not eligible for this study abroad scholarship.
This scholarship is only applicable to Learning Abroad Center Freshman Seminars Abroad
You must print and submit the completed form along with your essay
Scholarships are awarded based on basic eligibility criteria and an essay. Complete a Freshman Seminar Abroad Scholarship Application form, and attach the essay.
Essay specifics: (essays that don't adhere to formatting and page requirements will not be accepted)
- One-inch margins
- 12 pt. font.
- Include one-line header in the top-right corner with the following information: Name and student ID
Essays will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Explanation of how you will contribute to your Freshman Seminar Abroad group
- Description of your undergraduate career goals (academic, international, personal, etc.)
- Explanation of how participating in a Freshman Seminar Abroad help you reach these goals
- Well written, both in terms of style and grammar
|Term of Study||Year||Deadline Date|
|Spring Break||2013||December 7, 2012|
Applications must be received in the Learning Abroad Center office by 4:00 pm on the deadline date.
How to submit your application
- Be sure to adhere to the scholarship deadline
- Applications must be received by the Learning Abroad Center before 4:00 pm on the application deadline date
- We do not accept applications via fax or email
- There are no exceptions for late applications
- Submit the application and essay to the Learning Abroad Center in 230 Heller Hall or mail your application & essay to the following address:
University of Minnesota—Twin Cities
230 Heller Hall
271 19th Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN 55455
Notification of Awards
All scholarship applicants are notified of the scholarship committee's decision by an email sent to to the applicant's U of MN email account. Notification emails will be sent approximately six weeks after the application deadline. Alternate awards may become available due to a recipient declining the award, a recipient who becomes ineligible for the award, etc. If you are selected to receive an alternate award you will be notified by email as well.
Freshman Seminar Abroad Scholarship money is distributed based on the following formula:
The number and amount of awards may vary depending on the pool of applicants and the funding available.